Tummy tuck surgery (also called "abdominoplasty") sculpts and re-shapes the belly by removing excess skin and fat. The only way to know if you can benefit from a tummy tuck, and if it is the right procedure for your goals, is to visit experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Victor Perez. He makes sure you know all of your options. Tummy tucks benefit a wide range of patients, including moms interested in rejuvenating their bodies, as well as men and women wanting to define and sculpt their abdomens.
Tummy Tuck May Be the Right Option for Addressing Post-Pregnancy Changes
Being a mom is a full-time job (with lots of overtime, to be honest!), but it's also important to prioritize your health, wellness and self-esteem. If you'd like to address some of the lasting physical effects of pregnancy, then a tummy tuck may be appropriate. It offers:
- Repair of diastasis recti: Oftentimes, the growing uterus during pregnancy stretches and separates the two parallel bands of muscle overlying your belly. These muscles lie vertically across your abdomen, meeting below the belly button. Diastasis recti may cause the belly to bulge in the middle following pregnancy, even after you've lost the "baby weight." It won't respond to diet and exercise because the separated muscles are causing the belly to puff out. The muscles are tightened and repaired in a tummy tuck.
- Removal of stretched, deflated skin: Your abdominal skin is stretched over the course of your pregnancy by your growing baby. While you love your new bundle of joy, after you deliver and your body has had time to stabilize, you may be left with a deflated belly where the stretched skin hangs. A tummy tuck removes the extra skin and re-drapes the remaining skin over the belly contour.
- Reduction of resistant fat: Some fat deposits are stubborn. In the months and years following pregnancy, you may pursue diet and exercise but find that your belly holds on to fat no matter what. A tummy tuck will remove this excess fat along with hanging skin.
Sometimes moms come to us asking about liposuction to address their postpartum bellies. While liposuction may be the right option, oftentimes our patients are surprised to learn that liposuction alone isn't right for the goals they want to achieve: Liposuction removes only fat. It does not provide significant tightening of loose or hanging skin. A tummy tuck is necessary to remove that excess skin. On the other hand, if you have fat alone that you want to remove, and are happy with the elasticity of your skin, then liposuction at our practice may be the right fit.
It Is Also Well-Suited to Men and Women with Puffy, Saggy Belly Skin
Tummy tucks meet the goals of a wide range of people, not only moms looking to address postpartum belly skin. Men and women of various ages seek abdominoplasty to correct:
- A crease at the level of the belly button caused by hanging excess skin
- An overhang of fat and skin, which you may call a "muffin top"
- A puffy abdominal area that has wrinkles and crinkles all across it
- A bulge of skin above and below the belly button, creating a "double bubble"
- Skin hanging or pooching out on the abdominal area
Abdominoplasty was in the Top 5 cosmetic procedures nationwide in 2018, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. It occupied the Number 5 position with 130,081 procedures performed by ASPS surgeons that year. In 2017, 4,884 men and 124,869 women underwent this procedure.
For some patients, a tummy tuck is a good way to sculpt their tummy, especially as a complement to body slimming results they've achieved with activity and diet. It may be appropriate for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight, and have found that, while belly fat has diminished, deflated skin remains. Finally, you may have always had these tummy characteristics and perhaps you are finally ready to do something about it!
Arrange a Tummy Tuck Consultation with Dr. Perez in Overland Park
Interested in learning more about abdominoplasty surgery? We encourage you to arrange a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Victor Perez. During your consult, he will listen to your goals for your body and help you decide if a body-shaping procedure is right for you. To schedule your visit, please call Renue Aesthetic Surgery at 913-685-1108.