The latest data published by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons reveals that a growing number of people are turning to aesthetic services to help them look and feel their best. The facts may surprise you: 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures and 16.3 million cosmetic minimally-invasive procedures were performed in 2019. Here’s what else the report showed about where plastic surgery currently stands.
The Top 5 Cosmetic Procedures
Many people share similar cosmetic complaints, such as stubborn excess fat, droopy eyelids, or smaller-than-desired breasts. It makes sense, then, that procedures to address these things are highly sought after.
These were the top five cosmetic surgical procedures in 2019:
- Breast augmentation: 299,715 procedures
- Liposuction: 265,209 procedures
- Eyelid surgery: 211,205 procedures
- Nose reshaping: 207,284 procedures
- Facelift: 123,685 procedures
A Look at Patient Ages
Cosmetic procedures and treatments are appropriate for patients of nearly any age, provided they meet the candidacy requirements. Here’s the age distribution for both surgical and minimally-invasive procedures.
Cosmetic surgery age distribution:
- Age 13-19: 4% of total procedures
- Age 20-29: 16% of total procedures
- Age 30-39: 24% of total procedures
- Age 40-54: 34% of total procedures
- Age 55+: 23% of total procedures
Age distribution for minimally invasive procedures:
- Age 13-19: 1% of total procedures
- Age 20-29: 4% of total procedures
- Age 30-39: 18% of total procedures
- Age 40-54: 51% of total procedures
- Age 55+: 27% of total procedures
More Men Turn to Cosmetic Services
Gone are the days when getting plastic surgery was seen as a women’s interest. Today, many men want to look their best, and they know that certain procedures and treatments can help them get there.
In 2019, there were 1,090,285 minimally-invasive procedures performed on men. Among those, the most popular services were BOTOX® Cosmetic and laser hair removal. Men also underwent 211,390 cosmetic surgical procedures last year.
Schedule Your Overland Park Consultation
It’s fun to look at plastic surgery trends now and then. Maybe you realized that the service you’re interested in is more popular than you imagined! Still, nothing takes the place of individualized recommendations from a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Call 913-685-1108 today to schedule a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Victor Perez. Renue Aesthetic Surgery serves patients throughout the Kansas City area in both Missouri and Kansas, including Olathe, Lee's Summit, Overland Park, and more.